Double-clicking desktop opens start menu?

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

GusCalderon
Participant
Participant

Double-clicking desktop opens start menu?

Post by GusCalderon »

One of my co-workers was testing the secure stations that I've treated with PWB and HideGUI and he made a very cool discovery. If you crash PWB (I think he did it by continously opening windows), and it doesn't restart (I haven't completly figured out how to use autorestart without it giving me two open windows at logon), you can double click on the empty desktop and the start menu shows up. You can then use 'run' to bring the command window and BINGO!

I think there's an easy solution to disable that, but honestly I can't find it. (YOU try to google 'double-click on desktop opens the start menu' and see how many hits you get!) Does anyone know how to disable that? Thank you very much. :)

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Are you using the application AutoRestart or the Restart built into PWB?

Running HideGUI and hiding the Desktop, then double clicking on the Desktop does not open the Start Menu. Is there a spcific place on the Desktop you are double clicking, or is there any other information that may be helpful to discover the problem?

--Scott

GusCalderon
Participant
Participant

Post by GusCalderon »

I'm using the auto restart built into PWB. I'm going to experiment again with AutoRestart, and hopefully I'll get a better result.

The double clicking effect actually happens in the two xp machines in which I have replicated the problem. These are older machine running windows xp professional, with HideGUI hiding the start button, the task bar, and the notification area. I use gpedit.msc and followed these instructions to hide the desktop and drives.

The trick someone found also functions like this: with autorestart set in PWB, hit alt-f4 to close PWB. As PWB closes and restarts, and right before it reaches full screen, double click on the desktop. If you catch it just right, the start menu pops up sure enough, and you have access. I just don't know how to stop it.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Instead of using Policies to hide the Desktop, use HideGUI.

We use this technique on our computers with no problems.
http://teamsoftwaresolutions.com/phpBB2 ... .php?t=536

--Scott