Strange display errors [rendering?]

For general issues related to PWB v2.

Moderators: Tyler, Scott, PWB v2 Moderator

FCL-TECHS
Observer
Observer

Strange display errors [rendering?]

Post by FCL-TECHS »

Hello. I work in a library and have recently set up two terminals on Pentium D Gateway Profile 6s. These terminals are working with disablewindowsGUI and are set to full screen with limited buttons and the autorestart function, as they are used only for viewing our library catalog.

It seems that when they are left on too long, one of two [if not both] of these things will happen:

1: The screen will get blank/lines. This means if the screen is displaying something and you try and scroll down, whatever is on the page will just wipe down... sort of like when windows freezes and you can move a window around and paint your desktop with it :?

2. This is the wierd one that makes me think 'rendering'. Occasionally, some other things happen, such as drop down menus being black and unreadable, and the arrows for the drop down menus and the back button changing and instead of displaying arrows they display the number 6.

I have attempted replacing one of the Profile 6 machines in hope that it was a hardware conflict. I used one of our old Dell Optiplex GX240s running Pentium 4s. We have had these machines running our catalogs for some time at the other library, but it seems that the new one now freezes, and once has had that arrow - 6 error.

I have also witnessed another GX240 at our library that has never had problems that displayed the drop down arrow as a number 6 about a week ago, but it hasn't happened since.

I didn't witness this but was told that other catalog machines running off of Dell Optiplex SX260s were doing the same thing.

Sorry this post is so long but I tried to separate relevant points with spaces for easy reading.

3---------------------(^o^)---------------------E [Don't make the E-Dude hug you!]

~Mike

FCL-TECHS
Observer
Observer

Post by FCL-TECHS »

Sorry: To clarify:

The terminals view our catalog using PWBv2, and that is all they are used for. The errors only seem to occur in PWBv2.

spragers
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by spragers »

This happened all the time with IE on my folks' computer, but they were still running Windows ME. Are you running out of memory somehow? The black drop-downs and other garbled items lead me to think that.

PWB just acts as a front-end for the IE rendering engine, so display problems are *usually* the fault of IE itself :)

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

It definately sounds like a memory issue.

What version of Windows are you using?
What version of IE are you using?
What version of PWB are you using?

What is the home page set to in PWB?

Sometimes if you have the home page set to a page that refreshes itself, overtime the underlying IE can consume large amounts of memory. You can usually correct this by setting the home page to a page that does not refresh or setting MinimizeMemoryUsage=True in your PWB INI file.

--Scott

FCL-TECHS
Observer
Observer

Post by FCL-TECHS »

The machine is running Windows XP Professional with IE6. Shouldn't be a problem there...

The homepage may, however, now that you mention memory. You wouldn't be able to see the homepage as it is a link to a server of ours that hosts our library catalog. Which link you go to determines which profile you're looking at [since we have two libraries this determines which catalog you will see.]

I don't know if this is the problem though, since none of the other 13 of these we have set up have had the same issue, but then they were all a different model of machine [GX240s and SX260s].

FCL-TECHS
Observer
Observer

Post by FCL-TECHS »

I have now seen this on an IBM NetVista running XP and a Dell OptiPlex GX240 running W2K. I don't know if it is a configuration error or what. The arrows for the drop-down in PWB actually turn into the number 6, and sometimes the boxes are blacked out, and other times the screen repeats when you scroll down, turning the display into a jumbled mess of colored lines.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Have you tried setting [Browser] MinimizedMemoryUsage=True in your INI file?

Send a copy of your INI file to Support@TeamSoftwareSolutions.com and I will take a look at your configuration.

--Scott

FCL-TECHS
Observer
Observer

Post by FCL-TECHS »

No I'll go do that right now...

and I'm sending you the .INI now too.

Joseph Stude
Participant
Participant

Post by Joseph Stude »

What ever ended up coming of this? We're experiencing this problem intermittently now on our catalog machines.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

In this case, the administrator had restricting the C: drive using the Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit, and it seemed to be causing a problem with the underlying Interent Explorer or page file. Unrestricting the C: drive cleared up the problem.
I do believe that unrestricting the drives has fixed my problem... it is my belief that it was the restricted drives that was causing the problem. The computer hasn't frozen in a couple of days.
If you want, please send a copy of your INI file to support@teamsoftwaresolutions.com and I can take a look at your configuration for any possible problems.

--Scott

mattbsudp
Observer
Observer

Post by mattbsudp »

Hi Scot,

I have restricted access to all drives through Group Policy. Do you think this would have the effect as restricting via the Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit? If so, is there any way around this without removing this restriction?? I have already set MinimiseMemoryUsage to True as suggested.

The system is Windows XP, running version 2.1.03 (November release), IE7, 1GB memory, 65GB of spare HDD space.

Cheers,

Matt

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

We use the Group Policy to restrict access to the C: drive on our computers without trouble, but we have the user profiles on the D: drive.

Internet Explorer, and thus PWB, need to have write access to the user profile in order to save cache and temporary files when rendering HTML pages.

--Scott

mattbsudp
Observer
Observer

Post by mattbsudp »

Hi Scott,

I'm tempted to agree with what you say, but we've had previous versions of PWB work perfectly well with the Drives locked in Group Policy and the profiles on the locked drive. In fact this seems to have occurred only since July this year. Is this IE7 causing a specific problem, or a windows update or a change in PWB?

Our homepage is libcat.bham.ac.uk if you'd like to take a look at it.

Cheers,

Matt

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

When did you upgrade to IE7?

Is it possible to test your setup with IE6?

--Scott

mattbsudp
Observer
Observer

Post by mattbsudp »

Hi Scott,

Sorry to be a pain. It is IE6 that we're using anyway, not IE7. I thought we'd upgraded all of our setups to IE7.

Cheers,

Matt